Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Saved by a cheese and mustard sandwich

                 So I´m going a little out of order here and am going to write about Iguazu Falls before the Carnaval post. I´m in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina right now. Wanted to write a quick update (will add pics later) to say we´re all alive and happy in case any of yall saw news of the recent accident at Iguazu Falls. So yesterday the girls and I went to Igauzu Falls on the Argentian side and purchased a ticket for a boat ride. The boat rides are very common; they leave every 20 minutes and run all day. Almost all the travelers I talked to that went to the falls said they did a boat ride and that it was a blast. So we hiked around the falls, which are spectacular-one of the most beautiful things I´ve ever seen in my life-and decided to sit down and eat our cheese sandwiches before going on our boat ride. As we are walking towards the area where you get on the boat we hear sirens and are pushed aside by firemen carrying stretchers. Some people tells us that one of the boats has flipped and that all boat rides are cancelled for the rest of the day. We hiked around and saw helicopters and rescue boats-people being pulled from the water. It was really scary to think that if we hadnt decided to eat our cheese sandwiches before the boat ride that could have very easily been us. I have since found out that 2 people died both American tourists and one of them was a 25 year old American girl, which hit pretty close to home. I am sad for those families. I know the title of this blog is silly and catchy but in all seriousness want to give a shout out to all friends and family to say I love and appreciate you! I´m safe and very happy to be doing what I´m doing and weird shit (sorry mom) can happen anywhere.
                          Before Iguazu falls Argentina we saw the falls from the Brazilian side and it was just as stunning. There are less actual waterfalls but I think you can see more of them because you get a panoramic view of the falls on the Argentian side. While looking at the falls a butterfly landed on my hand and hung out there for a while-there were also several rainbows almost hugging the waterfalls it was very magical.  Will post pictures when I can. Headed today to Uruguay to see some beaches before it turns into Fall weather. Sending you all love, sunshine, rainbows and butterflies!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, girl! Well, you know we're all so very thankful that you're safe. And of course you're right...weird shit CAN happen anywhere. But man! What a wake-up call!

    You won't believe the picture I'm going to post to Facebook later today. I'm going to tag you in it even though it really isn't you. (Say what?!) You'll see.

    Miss you and love you!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY CRAP!!! That's crazy! I'm SOOO glad you guys are okay! You are having WAY too much fun - and I'm thrilled for you! I miss you like crazy. I'm a little slow and didn't know that I could comment on a blog... Jeff and Wade are laughing somewhere right now. Oh, well. Things are okay here... lots of drama. Shocker, I know. I'm sure I'll fill you in on all of it when you get back - you ARE coming back, right?! :) Okay, I'll leave you alone. Go have fun. And be safe!!! I love you! Ang

    ReplyDelete